Monday, December 11, 2006

Partial MRI Results

Hi Everyone, Keegan had his MRI on Friday and we finally got a call late today w/ some partial results. I talked to the physician's assistant, not the nuerosurgeon as he was too busy. Sometimes the PA gives inaccurate info so I'll update again after I speak w/ the nuerosurgeon (hopefully tomorrow).

Anyway, they determined that Keegan does have a cyst in his left ventricle. Currently he is shunted on the right side. The PA said that in his opinion Keegan will need surgery to take care of the cyst, but it is not an emergancy at this time. They did a stealth series during the MRI to get a very detailed picture of the left ventricular area. The doctor has unfortunatly not been able to review those results. The PA said they are trying to determine whether or not they can go in endoscopically and try to drain/puncture the cyst or whether Keegan will need another shunt to go into that area.

That is all we know. My hope is that he won't need another shunt and that the surgery can wait until after the holidays. The nuerosurgeon is going to try to review the stealth series results tonight or tomorrow and the PA said we may not hear back until Wednesday. Also if they can't see what they want to see from the MRI Keegan may need to have further tests done before they determine what the next steps should be.

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Here's a video as promised

Here is a video from last week of Brodin trying to roll over. The little stinker is much better and faster at it now.

Keegan's MRI

Keegan's MRI on Friday morning went very well. Keegan was scared but brave. Luckily it only took one try to get his IV in. They put him to sleep since the MRI took a little less than an hour. He as a little loopy after he woke up and couldn't walk straight for a few hours. We got to the hospital at 7:30 and were released less than 2 hours later.

We still don't have results and are hoping to hear tomorrow (Monday). I will try to update the blog as soon as we hear. In the mean time Keegan is feeling very well. He is in a great mood and hasn't been sick since last weekend so I'm hopeful that whatever they saw on the CT scan last weekend resolved on its own. Here is a very cute video of Keegan from tonight.

Santa Pics

Keegan and Brodin got to meet Santa. Keegan told Santa that he wanted a Great Big Snowball for Christmas. When Santa told him that was up to the weather man, Keegan told him he wanted a fire truck.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Annie Meets Brodin

Aunt Annie didn't get to meet Brodin until Thanksgiving.. here is the first pic I've captured of the two of them:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Now for some good news

Brodin started rolling over from his back to his tummy this weekend! He is getting so big so fast. I'll try to capture it on video for you guys.

Not such good news

Keegan has been acting a little funny this week and then on Monday night he threw up so we took him in for a CT scan yesterday. Thankfully he doesn't have a shunt blockage (YAY!) but he does have an abnormal accumulation of fluid in one of his ventricles. The nuero said it is either a cyst or some tissue mishealed after the last set of revisions and walled off a part of the ventricle. So he is getting an MRI on Friday morning so they can see that section of the brain more clearly. In all liklihood he'll need surgery to break that membrane, but at least it isn't an emergency.

I'll try to update this blog as soon as we get the MRI results. The MRI is on Friday at 7:30 a.m. and he'll need to be sedated. Luckily Joe and Helen are coming up to watch Brodin so we can take Keegan in for the test. Keegan has Pizza w/ Santa today at school so I'll be sure to send some pics later today.