Saturday, October 28, 2006

Mom would be sooo proud of me......

So yesterday I dusted off the sewing machine and actually tried (tried being the key word) to sew something. I just wanted to sew some flannel cloth wipes, should be easy right?

It took me 3 hours (not exaggerating) to figure out on my own how to create a bobbin, thread the bobbin and thread the top part of the thread (spool right?). Apparently I can read, analyze and write a detailed tax research memo about some of the most complex sections of the federal and state tax code, but I can't figure out a Brother's sewing machine instruction booklet.

Finally after I threaded the machine I had to start cutting the flannel. So, how exactly do you cut straight? I can't seem to figure that one out. I got it close, but my original 8x8 inch square is now 8 inch by 7 1/4 inches.

My sew line was not even close to straight... and I used about 10 different stiches. At least this is cheap fabric. So my 5 hours of work produced one uneven, interestingly sewn, flannel cloth wipe. Not bad eh?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is why I let the chinese do all of my sewing for me. Well, and nicki.

-Ryan

Anonymous said...

I love blogger :) Much easier to use than myspace. If I ever decide to keep a blog this is what I will use. It was so great to see you this weekend!
~Heather